The Fender Bass VI BBS

Fans of the Fender Bass VI '61-'75
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Schecter Ultra VI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:21 pm 

Looks like the 2011 Schecter catalogue is online now.
They've added a new VI to the list in addition to the Hellcat VI, based on the Ultra III guitar, the Ultra VI. Spec wise, they look to be pretty similar, except:
.: The pickups are the same Duncan Design MH-102 mini-humbuckers as in the Hellcat, but the Ultra III toggle switches offer more pickup combinations (each pick up has an on/off/tap switch, rather than a 5-way+tap).
.: Set neck vs bolt-on

I would imagine that the LaBella HC-6x strings would fit this puppy just fine, despite the different headstocks.

Very tempted to sell my Hellcat to get one of these, depending on what the price ends up being once they hit stores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:08 pm 

So the spec sheet for this has been corrected/updated.

The pickups are no longer listed as the same MH-102 in the Hellcat, but are now FG-101. From what I hear they are a brighter pickup than the Hellcat's, more akin to the Fender VI's sound and less round bassy. Basically, it's a more articulate instrument, steering clear of muddiness.
These are the same Duncan Design pickups that are in the Ultra III.

According to someone who had one of the prototypes, the neck has a moderately Gibson-like width/profile, compared to the Hellcat's more Fender-like style. The big body also afforded greater sustain than the Hellcat VI; not that the Hellcat was particularly lacking in that department.

MSRP is US$919; it's not yet known what the street price will be when it hits stores in the late spring. This is slightly higher than what the Hellcat VI is suggested to be, so the two should be in a similar ballpark for pricing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:27 pm 

More changes!

Schecter's been listening to user input concerning the design of the Ultra VI and have made some changes, including:
1. A500K pot
2. .047uF Tone Cap
3. And add a .002 Treble Bleed Cap to the Volume

This has apparently made the instrument brighter and a little more Fender VI-y in some ways. Apparently the Schecter guys have reported that it's improved the sound of the bass nicely.

There's plenty of discussion happening on the Facebook Schecter Hellcat VI & Ultra VI Players group, if you're interested, or would like to offer some unput that may reach Schecter before full production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:30 am 

Wow, this seems like a pretty cool instrument! I like the looks; body shape and headstock are more to my taste than those on the Hellcat. And it's a set-neck! Really nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:48 am 

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try to sell my Hellcat to finance getting an Ultra :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:15 pm 

a major Guitar manufacturer carrying 2 VI type instruments despite the global slump!
this is very good news

I'm very impressed by the way Schecter have listened to players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:11 pm 

Yay, the site is back and active!!

In the time the site's been down for me I've ordered and received my Ultra VI, and still have my Hellcat VI. It was a bit of an adventure; I placed my order on 22 May, and didn't get the bass until 7 July. Bit of an annoyance, but, it DID arrive :P

So, I've had the Ultra VI for about a week and a half, and I don't find it dramatically different than the Hellcat, sound wise, though they are different. I'd readily use either in a live situation and no one would likely hear the difference, really.

Impressions:
.: Solid playing bass, neck is thinner in profile than the Hellcat, and the set neck keeps it thin all the way up; no big heel like on the Hellcat
.: Light weight; it's gotta be a couple pounds lighter than the Hellcat
.: 3-way switches are too stiff; they work ok, but are much harder to flick than the switches on, say, my Jaguar. This causes you to too easily jump from one mode to the other, when you intend to turn a pickup off. uickly changing pickup selection while playing is difficult.
.: Output is relatively low. Despite the humbuckers, there's not a lot of power from the pickups. They sound ok, a little dark, but ok...
.: the design is not upgrade friendly, at least for pickups. The mini humbuckers are an odd size to swap out, and being body mounted will require body fill or routing to use singles or full size humbuckers. Adding switches to the pickguard shouldn't pose any issues if you want to alter the circuit itself.

Yesterday was really the first time I've been able to play the Ultra through an amp :P It passed the test well enough. Used it for a 3hr practice session, then played two gigs through the day with it. Sounded good and played well through it all. No issues with getting lost in the mix or what have you; it sat nicely in the bass role and where I use it as a baritone, it cut through just fine.

Something I did find, however, that differentiates the playing experience from the Hellcat is in basic ergonomics while standing. The body shape of the Ultra results in the neck seeming longer than on the Hellcat, where the contours bring the bridge/nut further towards your picking hand. This makes forming, say, and F barre chord a little more difficult. Sitting, they're pretty similar, but standing it's a little harder to reach all the way down the neck... feels more like playing a full scale Jazz Bass, for example.

I did a bunch of recordings of both instruments covering several pickup selections, keeping everything else equal, even putting a fresh set of LaBella HC-6Ns on each first and making sure to keep my picking location constant.
http://soundcloud.com/ankhanu/sets/hc-ultra/

Post subject: Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 am 

Been looking around the net for reviews of the new Schecter Ultra VI. Having a hard time finding anyone who has it. It looks good. Found a Paul Allen demo on Youtube. See it here if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Am5tkI ... re=related

I'd be interested in a direct comparison bwtween it and the Fender VI if anybody has experience with both.